Competition Rules for the
Tees Valley Merit and
1. Points in the competition can be gained in the following ways; if the League organiser is informed of the result within 3 days of the match being played
a) Four points for a win
b) Two points for a draw
c) One point for a loss
d) Two points for any team whose opposition cries off a fixture on Friday, one point for any team whose opposition cries off in the week preceding the fixture.
e) Minus one point for any team crying off a fixture two or less days before a fixture i.e. Friday or Saturday
f) Abandoned games one point (see rule 9)
g) Four points for any team whose opposition cries off on the day of the match
h) Teams involved in games that are called off will have the option to play the match at a later date with the normal points rules applied however the points previously awarded will be deducted.
i) One bonus point for any team losing by seven points or less.
2. The league position shall be determined by the number of league points gained, in the case of equality, positions will be determined on the basis of match points scored in the following manor :
3. A Club with a larger difference between match points for and match points against shall be placed higher in the league than a club with a smaller difference between match points for and match points against.
Should two clubs have the same number of league points and the same match points difference then the club having scored the higher number of match points for will be placed higher than the club having scored less match points for.
4. Match Results and other relevant details must be sent to the competition organiser within 3 days unless there are exceptional circumstances, to be accepted as valid for the competition. If results are disputed by the opposition, mediation will take place.
5. If a club is unable to field both teams for arranged fixtures in the Merit League and Social League on the same day then they should endeavour to play the Merit League fixture.
6. If a team is unable to provide a front row for a match then uncontested scrums will be allowed.
7.a) Teams shall endeavor to play 2 fixtures (Home and Away) against each team in their league.
b) If a team cries off an away fixture their next home fixture against that team is flipped to an away game.
8. Clubs will endeavor to field players of the appropriate level for each team in the competition.
9. Teams involved in games that are called off because of bad weather, unplayable pitches or a County Cup tie will be awarded one point. However they will have the option to play the match at a later date with the normal points rules applied and both will retain the point previously awarded.
10. The maximum number of substitutions allowed per game will be 6 unless a higher figure is agreed by the Captains before the game.
11. The last date for results of games to qualify for the Leagues will be 30th April.
12. Once a team has been included in the leagues at the start of a season their results and commitments will count towards points in the competition. No team will be considered for withdrawal from the leagues once the season has commenced.
13. Teams not completing 70% of their fixtures will be subject to a review and teams not completing 60% of their fixtures will be excluded from next seasons competition.
14. Merit League teams whose opposition cry off will receive four points, and the opposition will have four weeks to arrange a replacement fixture later in the season, if so the four points will be rescinded and usual points applied to the replacement game.